[Vinmec – Ask the experts] No. 01: theme from insomnia (Part 1)
Insomnia is a symptom complex, including difficulty sleeping or difficulty maintaining sleep for a long time, causing directly affect the health and spirit of patients, at the same time, insomnia is also a warning sign more dangerous pathologies such as depression, weight gain, chronic pain… To learn more about your sleep, Vinmec answer the questions related to insomnia and treatment measures from the perspective expert.
The question is advice by Doctor CKII The Paint – hospital international Vinmec Hai Phong
1. You Ta Tuyet Mai (Student, vietnam National University, Hanoi): Hello Doctor I this year 20 years old is student, year 3, the current main job of you is learning and has to do more. Work and learning majority of the time, however I still balance the time to rest and get enough sleep. However recently I appear symptoms such as fatigue, stress, day dozing not focused is that the night is very sober, can play phone continuously without eye fatigue? Your doctor can let you know is so you can get the disease from insomnia, please? And when called insomnia it? Thank you, doctor.
Doctor CKII The Paint: Hi! Insomnia is a symptom complex, including difficulty sleeping or difficulty maintaining sleep for a long time. Called insomnia when:
- Trouble sleeping at night.
- Wake up at night.
- Waking up too early.
- Not feel relaxed after a night’s sleep.
- Daytime fatigue or sleepiness.
- Irritability, depression or anxiety.
- Difficulty paying attention, focusing on tasks or remembering.
Insomnia is often divided into three categories:
- Insomnia transient – occurs when symptoms lasts up to three nights,it is often the result of stress or an event that causes worry.
- Insomnia acute – also known as short-term insomnia. The symptoms exist for several weeks.
- Chronic insomnia – this type lasts for many months, and sometimes years, often related to chronic physical illness: chronic pain, pulmonary disease, chronic obstructive, asthma , sleep apnea, Parkinson’s disease and Alzheimer’s, hyperthyroidism , arthritis…
To know the exact status of their disease, you should go to a hospital, medical facility, reputed to be the therapist diagnosis as well as give treatment accordingly.
2. Ms. Nguyen Thi Ngoc (Yen phu, Ba Dinh, Ha Noi): Hello doctor, I this year 35 years old is the office staff. The years back here, I often lose sleep despite trying to improve by exercise, changing diet. So cases insomnia is my disease and need treatment? Thank you, doctor!
Doctor CKII The Paint: insomnia (insomnia) or trouble sleeping (sleeping dificulties) is a disease affecting the lives of many people. Difficulty sleeping comes in many forms, difficulty falling asleep, disturbed sleep, waking up early not sleep again, or waking up many times during sleep, each time longer than 30 minutes. Women suffer from insomnia more than men, especially at the age close to menopause. The cause maybe due to the disease related rather than due to lack of hocmon. The older the risk of insomnia as high. Can categorize insomnia as follows:
- Disease insomnia are related to mental illness.
- Insomnia is acute insomnia is brief and often happens because of life circumstances.
- Chronic insomnia is when insomnia at least three nights per week and lasts at least three months.
Case if your have applied the method to improve sleep without medication, without effective, you should go to see a doctor specializing in neurology or psychiatry for advice.
3. Tran Xuan Duc (37 years old – Ly Nhan, Ha Nam): Hello doctor, due to the nature of work should 2 weeks now I usually sleep very little, many days I only get to sleep 5 – 6 hours. Although sleeping less and not increase the diet, I still increased by 2 kg. My friends tell me to gain weight due to loss of sleep. This is not true, thanks to doctor answer help why lose sleep over weight gain?
Doctor CKII The Paint: Hello, you described your can summary cause insomnia back your weight gain is as follows: Sleep not enough sleep, the body needs more energy to operate should eat more, while the metabolic process to be less effective, very easy to make hoarding excess fat.
Sleep disorders will increase the amount of hormones Ghrelin and Leptin that stimulates appetite, increases the process of fat production and increase weight. So have you only sleep about five hours per night and when to start sleep again seven or eight hours will see weight loss and improved health.
4. You Nguyen Ngoc Minh (26, Minh Khai, Hanoi): Doctor I have pregnancy insomnia how to do? You are pregnant in the 3rd month, in addition to morning sickness don’t eat is what I also suffer from insomnia. Lying awake ever get to sleep, but sleep is not deep, only 1 little noise which made me wake up at midnight. I was so afraid affect the child, but the way people tell all with no side effect. Ask your doctor for advice to help you with, sir!
Doctor CKII The Paint: You can lose sleep during pregnancy for many reasons. Whatever the reason may be what is, it is important to understand that insomnia is not harmful for your baby. Insomnia during pregnancy is normal and affects approximately 78% of pregnant women .
Causes of insomnia during pregnancy include:
- Discomfort due to the size of your abdomen increases.
- Back pain.
- Frequent urination at night.
- Tired, vomiting , poor appetite due to morning sickness.
- Hormonal changes.
To improve the condition of insomnia during pregnancy, you can apply some following measures:
- Posture sleep: should slant to the left. This posture helps the blood circulation to the best pregnancy. Can use pillows U-shaped to support sleep.
- Join yoga class pregnant.
- Massage legs, arms before going to bed to avoid cramps.
- Do not drink too much water before going to sleep.
5. You Ding haiyan (28 years old, office worker): Yes, hi doctor. You’re pregnant, babe, first time, 11 weeks already. This batch I often have trouble sleeping, with insomnia again. I this new year 25 years old, office job, so no pressure at all, and also only lost sleep from when pregnant, sir. Do not know wife pregnant suffer from insomnia in the first 3 months there is no danger, ma’am?
Doctor CKII The Paint: dear Friends! You should not worry, because insomnia is a condition common during pregnancy and does not affect the fetus. However, if you lost a lot of sleep and prolonged (Sleeping less than 6h per night) may be at risk of a caesarean section higher and the duration of labor is also more prolonged than with the pregnant sleep from 7 hours or more each night. And can cause the fetus underweight, fussy and difficult to feed.
Insomnia during pregnancy first trimester are usually due to other causes: In the first months of pregnancy, pregnant will often take plenty of sleep most of the body is too tired when to mobilize blood and oxygen to the formation of the placenta nourishes the fetus. In addition, the growing of the fetus according to the time dilation of the pelvis of the mother presses on the blood vessels causing edema leg pain, back pain makes difficult to sleep.
During pregnancy, the mother needs to share nutrients and oxygen for the baby, especially first 3 months, many, mom, morning sickness, the additional nutrients are not enough leads to skinny kick body weakness, fatigue and poor sleep. In the last months of pregnancy, the uterus gradually expands, displaces and presses up the diaphragm, causing movement of the diaphragm reduce should pregnant women have to breathe deep to breathe more to get more oxygen. This makes pregnant feel uncomfortable and affect the quality of sleep.
Solutions to improve insomnia symptoms in pregnant in the first month:
- Nutrition: Increase foods rich in vitamin B like green leafy vegetables, whole grains can help you sleep better
- Should not eat before going to sleep. Limit your intake of sweet drinks which irritate.
- Regular physical activity helps blood circulation, sleep, reduce stress. Mom can walk each day or swimming, before sleeping, maybe a warm bath, drink a glass of hot milk,…
- In addition, before going to sleep, soak your feet in warm salt water can add the lemongrass, lime leaves,… will help blood flow, from which the mother will sleep a lot more.
- Sleeping posture: pregnant women should exercise for yourself proper sleeping posture when pregnant. The best posture and the most comfortable is lie on your left side, knees bent, legs, guards up high. This posture helps reduce the pressure on leg veins, limit status, edema, increase in blood supply to the heart, decrease syndrome, low blood pressure, beneficial for improving blood circulation of blood of the placenta.
- Proper rest.
6. You Tran Thu Ha (Student year 3 University of National Economics): doctor, Hello, my name is Ha, 21 year old. Current I is a student in year 3. I’m going to do more evening came home it was already 10 p.m. then, add all showered and review the lessons again, the range of about 12 hours as I went to bed but couldn’t sleep. I feel the insomnia is also a disease should be very worried, do not know insomnia can cure not doctor? Help you with.
Doctor CKII The Paint: Hi! Insomnia can be treated. The treatment of insomnia should be based on the cause of insomnia.
The causes of insomnia include:
- Use of mobile phones: blue Light in your phone affects sleep due to impact to the natural circadian rhythms of the body
- Eating habits, living without moderation.
- Stress stress: is cause insomnia typical of young people. Pressure life makes the body loses balance between spiritual comfort and inhibition, from which a strong impact to the central nervous system, cerebral cortex, severely impair to sleep.
- Working computer, using smart devices too much: These devices will emit electromagnetic radiation, this is the causative affects the brain and the nervous system of the eye and is also one of the causes of insomnia in young people.
- Substance use: regular use of stimulants such as tobacco, wine, beer….will cause strong influence on the nervous system make the nervous system and brain are always in a state province.
- Overfeed when sleeping: In the evening if eat too much before going to sleep will cause us to lose sleep so the body can digest the amount of food that you have loaded on the inside of the body.
- With certain types of the disease: rhinitis, sinusitis, the diseases of the stomach, bones, joints… – drug abuse headache.
To know exactly his condition, you should go to hospital to be specialist doctor visits and treatment. A number of corrective measures to have more restful sleep:
Before going to sleep you let’s put aside the entire the work in progress, let loose body, and let his mind be relaxed by reading, listening to music, playing a game of light entertainment…
Adjust routine daily activities, such as increased agitation, maintained time diet proper rest.
Minimize the use of phone, computer,… especially before sleep.
Absolutely do not buy sleeping pills, about user. In case your doctor thinks that jobs evening part how can the impact cause irritation and stress for the brain, should you have trouble falling asleep. So when going to bed you should relax relax your body, lie still, breathing evenly with sleep will come to you
7.You Tran Thi Nguyen (email Address: [email protected]): Dear doctor, I’m 33 years old, have a family and 2 babies (2 years old ). Work is office staff. About 4 months now I experiencing the state of insomnia, normally I sleep from 10am to about 3 am is the province and not sleeping again. Every living habits are not have what change, not stress or think what. I have applied many methods but no improvement. Please be doctor advice.
Doctor CKII The Paint: Hello to you, When you wake up too early, and prolonged duration of 04 months. So you have sleep disorders then. But the condition, disorder, your sleep is not too severe, you can just take sleeping pills, herbal pills will help you last long sleep to 05 – 06h morning, break the habit of waking at 3pm. Condition disorders your sleep will improve after a few weeks of taking the drug. However, you should go to a doctor specializing in neurology or psychiatry for consultation and prescription, though the drug which is herbal medicine.
On this is a number of questions related to symptoms of insomnia. The question of reading continue to be the doctor answered in the next section.
Doctor CKII The Painting has 20 years of experience in the field of neurology. Special doctor has a lot of experience in the diagnosis and treatment of diseases such as sleep disorders, complications cerebral artery, herniated disc spine, parkinson’s disease, epilepsy, diseases of peripheral nerves, headache, dizziness… is a Doctor specialized neurological Medical hospital & medical hospital international Vinmec Hai Phong.