Article get expert advice by Phd, dr. Nguyen Luong Tan – Head of department of cardiology, Heart center, hospital, international Vinmec Central Park
Ventricular septal occupy 15 – 20% of the total number of cases of congenital heart disease. Disease ventricular septal influence many to health and the comprehensive development of the child with many dangerous complications such as growth retardation, heart failure, stasis blood, lung infections, pulmonary hypertension… and can be fatal if not treated promptly.
1. Disease ventricular septal defect what is it?
Disease ventricular septal or there abbreviated name in English is VSD, is a form of congenital heart disease the most popular today.
In the human body, the two ventricles are the main two compartments in the lower part of the heart and they are separated by the septum. In which the left side of the heart will usually pump blood with great pressure and contains more oxygen (than the right) off the aorta to feed the entire body. Ventricular septal defect is exist 1 or more holes is located on the septum between the two ventricles this. If the hole is large it can cause heart failure, lung injury do not recover and lead to death.
2. Ventricular septal symptoms like?
The symptoms of ventricular septal your baby often appear after a few days, a few weeks after birth. With a newborn there is ventricular septal defect small hole will have no symptoms. Young with a vent large, long days may cause purplish lips and nails from lack of oxygen, fingers, legs, live drumstick of black blood from the right ventricle goes through the vents mixed with red blood side interior left (Eisenmenger syndrome).
The symptoms of ventricular septal defect in children, including:
- Skin, lips and nails are always in a state of cyanosis due to lack of oxygen.
- Poor diet, not gain weight.
- Baby breathing, fast breathing or shortness of breath.
- Baby is always in a state of fatigue, weakness.
- Baby having difficulty breathing when eating or when crying.
- Feet or tummy of the baby is swelling.
- Heart palpitations or irregular heartbeat.
3. Causes and complications of ventricular septal defect in children
Ventricular septal defect in children often has no obvious cause, possibly due to irregularities in the process of developing heart of the baby in the fetus. During pregnancy the mother is infected with the Rubella virus, device, diabetes, drugs, alcohol, or other stimulants be considered as the cause of diseases congenital heart defects. The complications of ventricular septal defect in children include:
● With ventricular septal defect small hole at least when there are complications, children still living and normal development.
Ventricular septal big hole has many dangerous complications such as:
- Malnutrition: malnutrition is often accompanied by heart failure, recurrent infections, poor diet.
- Pneumonia: lung infection recurrences, with clinical manifestations such as fever, cough, shortness of breath, rapid breathing, pull intercostal muscles, draw concave tits, young bored eating.
- Heart failure congest: Due to the increase in blood flow through the heart to the lungs that the heart has to work more than usual. Long day heart dilatation, stasis of blood and can’t pump blood efficiently, does not meet the needs blood for the parts of the body. The symptoms of heart failure due to ventricular septal defect in infants, such as shortness of breath or sweating when feeding or exertion, fast breathing, pull, breathe, scream, even when resting.
- Pulmonary hypertension heavy with Eisenmenger syndrome
- Other complications such as arrhythmias, obstruction of cerebral vessels or brain abscess.
4. Methods of treatment of ventricular septal
The progression of the ventricular septal very diverse. Therefore, the treatment will need to be based on the factors such as hemodynamics, age, lesion anatomy, pulmonary artery pressure response of patients with treatment.
Currently, the FDA (agency management food and drug the United States) only allows performing interventions close the ventricular septal defect through the skin on the patient through small parts, in a ridge or a complication of myocardial infarction.
Specify close the vent with open-heart surgery depending on the location, size, hole information, the patient does not respond to medical therapy, or have diseases of the heart congenital other comes.
The case after surgery, has not surgery or without surgery need complications of infective endocarditis.
Treatment of ventricular septal likely completely cured of the disease if it is detected early and treatment was correct in the medical facility prestigious. Hospital international Vinmec have center heart circuits with specialist pediatric cardiology assume the function of examination, ultrasonography, diagnosis, monitoring, treatment, and rehabilitation cardiovascular for pediatric patients.
The faculty has successfully conducted many heart surgeries, including in children under 5 kg, and the newborns suffering from heart defects in which there is disease ventricular septal. Cardiology children’s hospital Vinmec has a team of specialists, rich experience, great reputation in medical therapy, surgery, interventional cardiology by applying many techniques currently most advanced in the diagnosis and treatment of pathologies of the cardiovascular.
The faculty are linked a comprehensive cooperation with the cardiovascular Institute of the Bach Mai hospital, University Paris Decartes’s hospital Georges Pompidou (France), University of Pennsylvania (Usa)…
You can demand advice and make an appointment can contact AT HERE.